The new intercity bus terminal of KTEL Heraklion-Lassithi SA in the renovated “Athena” building complex was officially opened to the public in June 2018. In this new, prototype terminal station, the company will offer advanced services to travelers and is collaborating to this effect with the Institute of Computer Science of the Foundation for Research and Technology – Hellas (ICS-FORTH).
ICS-FORTH’s cutting edge technologies have been incorporated in the innovative bus terminal station of KTEL Heraklion-Lasithi SA with the aim of enhancing the ways the public receives information about itineraries, destinations etc. Thousands of visitors and inhabitants of Heraklion have access, since June 2018, to a series of digital interactive systems that provide enriched information in order to promote local Cretan traditions and civilization.
ICS-FORTH interactive systems currently in operation in the “Athena” building include:
- Aether, a continuous flow of multimedia information is presented in a large size touch screen. When the user selects an image, it freezes and additional information about its subject is displayed.
- Ticket Scanner Kiosks. Six information kiosks are located around the main hall at which travelers can scan their tickets in order to access information about their destination and stops along the way.
- Interactive Column, presents in vertical flow offers and travel packages by the CTRS Travel Agency, which has its headquarters in the “Athena” building
- Interactive Map, at the terminal station entrance an interactive map that can be used by several people at the same time presents landmarks and points of interest in the City of Heraklion. An additional system comprising four vertical screens presents the destinations served by KTEL Heraklion-Lassithi SA busses in Crete and elsewhere, in a large size touch-screen map, which can be used by several people at the same time. By choosing a certain destination, the user can access further information such as photographs, etc. The map incorporates a real-time bus location service, which shows where each vehicle is on the island.
- Information Displays, the terminal station’s main information system is comprised by electronic displays of departures and arrivals, located both inside the main hall and at the bus boarding docks. The displays also present information about destinations and are available for advertisements and sponsorships.